Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Something familliar

Since this is the first time I'm making one of these for the purpose of making them I did some research on different types of level flow and decided to, for the first one do the most basic; a multiplayer First Person Shooter level, as I can most easily relate to this and will not require me to do a massive amount of research to simply figure out what the major set-pieces have to be.


To start off I simply placed out the two team-spawns like so:


After that I drew a bunch of boxes everywhere:


Following I removed all intersecting edges and Bam, free TF2 map layout. Not a work of beauty but as far as I see it it's a great starting point.


At this point I was thinking a lot about the spawns and trying to keep them away from the main "combat" areas, placing walls blocking of Blu Spawn from Point 1. I also moved around big pieces of the mapand opening up blocked off areas creating rooms with windows creating one-way-only movement blocks. (You can only jump OUT of a window, not in.


During this part I decided to draw blue and red lines flowing through the map. I have found this "drawing of flow lines" very useful as it allows me to see glaring issues which were previously hard to see. a good example is the very bottom of the map where Red only had one real way of getting to Point1. I solved this by making the previously unreachable area simply be a heightened platform for 1-way-movement into the Point1-area.


So, here it is.

First layout made for this thing-a-week thing. It's not beautiful, and it feels as though Red is slightly overpowered but I have to stop now. I have decided to not spend more than an hour in total researching and  drawing each layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment