Thursday, January 10, 2013

What of RTS games

Here's my take on a "no-rush" map for Command and Conquer: Generals.

Because I decided to create this layout for Generals, a RTS game My approach had to be completely different. For simplicity's sake I decided to make it completely 4-way symmetrical. hence, the very first step is just a set of triangles.

Second image I drew "edges" where I wanted the player spawns to be. adding a cliff wall separating the four bases.


At this point I removed the guidelines and drew out where I'd like the cliff edges to be. including two ramps into the different player's bases. Each player has one ramp leading down straight into the center of the map whilst the other one leads into the "back" area.


Because of the no-rush stature of the map I wanted the bases to be very easy to defend, leading to long and quite tense games as all four player will hopefully reach Max Tier before anyone dies. To re-enforce this notion I added extra heightened plateaus to the player spawns so that there are three different cliff height-levels to defend your base from.


To re-enforce the notion of this map being 100% no-rush I realized that I could simply fill up the middle part with water. This water will act as a natural "no-rush" barrier. Over the first 5 or 10 minutes the water will slowly drain from the center opening up the flood gates for tanks and infantry you have built up during the no-rush phase.


I personally love no-rush maps, especially in Command and Conquer games as they truly re-enforce the core C&C experience. I've designed this map around the idea of four people's completely built-up armies crashing into each-other all at once leading to an epic battle for survival.

..Launching up World Builder and making this right now is soooo tempting you would not believe. :V

No comments:

Post a Comment